Looking at some slides from the PS4 HSA Audio Presentation from AMD APU 13 I noticed that the processor used in the presentation is a Cadence/Tensilica DPU.
here is a link to Cadence website if you would like to read up on their DPU's
Abstract"An obstacle detecting unit detects an obstacle for a user wearing a head mounted display from an image of the outside world. A distance calculating unit calculates the distance from a detected obstacle to the user wearing the head mounted display. An obstacle replacing unit replaces the detected obstacle with a virtual object. A virtual object synthesizing unit generates a virtual object at a position within a virtual space displayed on the head mounted display, in which the position is determined according to the distance to the obstacle."
|Inventors:||Benson; Simon Mark; (London, GB) ; Bickerstaff; Ian Henry; (London, GB)|
|Assignee:||SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT EUROPE LIMITED|
|Filed:||May 3, 2013 "|
|Tues||2:45 – 3:30||CC-4006||Derrick Isoka, Olof Mases||Microsoft||Deliver Hardware Accelerated Applications Using RemoteFX vGPU with Windows Server|
power of Direct for .NET
@yosp @GAMEBasildon Hi guys, this isn't true. We can say that officially.
— PlayStation Europe (@PlayStationEU) October 18, 2013
Fantastic PlayStation meeting! Breaking Point - ALL your digital content from your PS3 WILL carry over on to your PS4! @yosp
— GAME Basildon (@GAMEBasildon) October 18, 2013
So, a couple of random things I've learned:
-It's not stock x86; there are eight very wide vector engines and some other changes. It's not going to be completely trivial to retarget to it, but it should shut up the morons who were hyperventilating at "OMG! 1.6 JIGGAHURTZ!".
-The memory structure is unified, but weird; it's not like the GPU can just grab arbitrary memory like some people were thinking (rather, it can, but it's slow). They're incorporating another type of shader that can basically read from a ring buffer (supplied in a streaming fashion by the CPU) and write to an output buffer. I don't have all the details, but it seems interesting.
-As near as I'm aware, there's no OpenGL or GLES support on it at all; it's a lower-level library at present. I expect (no proof) this will change because I expect that they'll be trying to make a play for indie games, much as I'm pretty sure Microsoft will be, and trying to get indie developers to go turbo-nerd on low-level GPU programming does not strike me as a winner.
The PS4 specter vector? I'm not a 100% sure what it is at this stage... I'm 45% leaning towards physics offloading or helping out within that department. The other 55% is screaming a modified component for helping PS3 games work within the G/Cloud environment.